Mobile phones became the norm for Pakistani citizens in 2000. However, the drop in rates and easy access for the public gave mobile subscribers a significant boost in the following years.
This is why targeted technology has been misused. Some criminal acts and terrorist threats soon came to light in connection with unregistered SIM cards.
In 2009, PTA implemented an advanced SIM information system to solve these problems. The system is designed to digitally record the number of active SIMs provided by SIM users to the CNIC.
If you don’t know or want to check or block the number of SIM cards provided to your CNIC, read on.
How many SIM cards can be registered on one CNIC?
First of all, it is important to realize that the number of SIM cards you can get with your CNIC is limited. According to the PTA regulations, a person can have a maximum of 5 SIM cards at a time. Therefore, you must first block the SIM card that is not in use to ensure the consistency of up to 5 SIM cards, while you have registered 5 SIM cards with your CNIC and want to purchase another one.
How do you check the active SIM cards issued on your CNIC?
You should obtain this information as soon as possible if you are not aware of the active SIM cards issued against your CNIC. You can do this in two easy ways:
Go to the PTA SIM information Website to check the number of SIM cards issued and use them with your name.
- The link would open a web page asking for your details to be entered.
- Enter your CNIC number in the field.
- By checking the box that I am not a robot, and clicking ‘Send’.
- A list of registered SIM cards is displayed in tabular form against this unique CNIC.
- The total number of SIMs you have registered on your CNIC is shown from an operator’s perspective and the table also shows the total number of Sims.
via text message:
Here’s a quick guide to checking the number of SIM cards your CNIC has registered via SMS:
- Open your phone’s texting app.
- Type your CNIC number without hyphens.
- Send the message to 668.
- The total number of active SIMs for each CNIC operator you get will be shown in the text of a response in the next step.
- Please note that for every SMS you send to 668, you will be charged PKR 2 + tax.
You should contact the Customer Service Center of the relevant company operator if you notice that the number of SIM cards issued on your CNIC exceeds the current number of SIM cards you are using.
What is SIM Cloning and why should you know about it?
Transferring cloned SIM data to another SIM card is called SIM cloning when a SIM card is duplicated. When this is complete, another user uses a separate SIM card on another mobile phone, with all data plus the original SIM card cost.
SIM card cloning is a popular way for many criminals to engage in illegal activities and make calls using someone else’s name. Anyone calling from your unmade number will immediately call the mobile company and file a complaint to disable the SIM card is illegal.
PTA biometric verification system:
An important step by PTA in checking phone security and making cell phone connections illegal is the PTA Biometric Verification System or BVS. You can easily use this system:
- Get a dual SIM card
- Buy or activate a new SIM card
- Change ownership of the previous SIM card registered to another CNIC
- Verify your SIM card again
- Fix mobile number portability issues
How do you get biometric verification of your SIM card?
You should check that you are using the SIM card known to PTA to ensure that your registered SIM card is not blocked. To get a verified biometric SIM card, you must first check if the SIM card is registered.
How to check the name of the owner of the SIM card?
You need to take these simple steps to find out the name of the owner of the SIM card:
- Open your phone’s SMS app.
- Send an empty message to 667.
- A reply text message with the name of the SIM owner from which the message was sent will be sent to you shortly.
How to block a SIM card registered on your CNIC?
It is best to block the mobile SIM card. However, if you want to get rid of a mobile SIM card, you don’t need to block the CNIC. What you can do:
- Visit the nearest mobile company franchise or customer service office.
- You must show your original CNIC and fill out a related form to immediately block your required number.
Keep in mind that it is a crime and has consequences to take illegal or unregistered SIM cards. Therefore, to avoid being caught in illegal activities, if you use an unregistered SIM card or SIM card in someone else’s name, you should immediately look for the solution.